Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Homework One (Year I) EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Homework One (Year I) EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Homework One (Year I) EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Homework One (Year I) EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Homework One (Year I) EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Homework One (Year I)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
::
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

Homework One (Year I) Empty
PostSubject: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

Defence Against the Dark Arts Homework One (Year I)

After finishing your homework, please send it to me by personal message before the indicated deadline. I will review and grade it, and I will then post what you wrote in this thread. At the beginning of our next lesson, we will correct what you had to do and I will award House Points depending on how seriously you have done your homework.

Your homework is the following: write two or more paragraphs about the Wand Lighting Charm's use in defense against dark creatures, the different variations of this spell and their effects.

You have until May 7th to send your homework. Since I know that not all of you have time to do this due to other responsibilities, there will be no sanction for those who haven't done their homework.

Please note that students who haven't attended Lesson One because they registered late are also supposed to complete this assignment.
Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character
Activity: Adult, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, Head of Ravenclaw House

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Morgana Gaunt
Slytherin
First Year

The Wand Lighting Charm is both a useful illuminating spell and a defensive one. The spell's effect is to light up the tip of your wand and emit a glow that, based on magic control, you can make as bright as the spell can get, or simply emit a soft dim glow. The spell's standard incantation is 'Lumos', but has other shapes which I shall come back to later. It is highly useful in many situations, like if you were to walk in a dark corridor or street, and you could barely see anything. 

But from simple occasions like dark places to dark creatures. Gytrash is the magical creature that is most renown to shy away from the light of the spell 'Lumos'. Gytrashes are spectral creatures that lives in dark places and can be found in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It comes out during the night, but by the simple means of 'Lumos' the spectral dog will vanish into darkness again. The spell also repels malevolent spirits.

The spell was first used in 1772 by Levina Monkstanley inside the Ministry of Magic on her search of a lost quill. It has later evolved to having more than just one version. There are four known versions, one being the standard 'Lumos'. While the three others are 'Lumos Maxima', 'Lumos Solem' and 'Lumos Duo Charm'. Lumos Maxima is a further development of Lumos, where the spell casts a great deal stronger light that can light up an entire room for several minutes. The Lumos Duo Charm is also a further development where the light that emits from the wand must have a target to work. And when it does, the light that emits will scare off, not only Gytrashes and spirits, but also Ghouls and it will also solidify Hinkypunks. It can also be used to charge and light up crystal balls. 

The spell that is the most different from the standard one, is Lumos Solem. The spells are related, but in another way and for another purpose. The spell emits a sharp light that runs through the room you're in, and it is speculated that the spell is on the warmer solar end of the spectrum. As the Latin words suggest, it is supposed to emit the light of the sun. It can be used on Devil's Snare as the plant hates sunlight and rots in it.
Lastly, madam Miranda Goshawk has said that "The Wand Lighting Charm is simple, but requires concentration. Take care not to accidentally set your wand alight as damage of this kind can be permanent. If in any doubt about your abilities you would do better to buy yourself a magic lantern" This says something about the fact that even though it is a simple spell, it can also cause a lot of damage and should not be used unwisely.

Graded

You have been awarded 15 Points for your homework. Your assignment was very detailed and well written. I have nothing more to add. Keep up the good work.

Back to top Go down
Ambrosius Umbranox
Adult
Ambrosius Umbranox

My Character

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 pm

The deadline is passed, I will not accept any more homework assignments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homework One (Year I)   Homework One (Year I) Empty

Back to top Go down

Homework One (Year I)
Page 1 of 1