Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Lesson One EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Lesson One EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Lesson One EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Lesson One EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Lesson One EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Lesson One EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Lesson One EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Lesson One EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Lesson One EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Lesson One EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Lesson One EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Lesson One EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Lesson One EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Lesson One EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Lesson One EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Lesson One

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ashton Clark
Adult
Ashton Clark

My Character
::
Activity: Adult

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 am

Ashton entered the room full of eager students who were seated on their respective chairs. He immediately approached his table in the north side and began his first lesson in History of Magic.

"Good day to you all. As you all know, I will be your professor, Professor Clark, for the rest of the year in the subject History of Magic. No more introductions needed since knowing my background would not change anything about the subject itself. Let us begin."

Ashton waved his wand, commanding the board to reveal what was written behind it.

History of Magic
Ancient Egyptian Magic

"I know that everyone can read, correct? I do not need to say what is written on that board." Ashton looked around, familiarizing every student's face and trying to see who among them are worth to be his student.

"Well then, shall we gather some points for your houses? What comes into your mind when you hear the word Ancient, and the word Egypt individually?"
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 5:11 am

Keith walked into the classroom, thankful that he finally found the room and that he wasn't late. He took his seat, just as Professor Clark began the lesson. He had scanned over the textbook for this class and was quite interested in it, so he made sure to listen. "Well then, shall we gather some points for your houses? What comes into your mind when you hear the word Ancient, and the word Egypt individually?" Professor Clark asked the class. Keith thought for a second, before raising his hand. "Ancient makes me think of old and unique things. As for Egypt, I seem to think about pyramids and tombs." Keith answered. He knew his answer wasn't the best, but he hoped someone else would also speak up so he wouldn't be alone.
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:57 am

Aurora entered the classroom as Professor Clark introduced himself. She was a little bit scared, since she had heard rumors that he was very strict, but she forced herself to keep a calm expression as she took her seat.

"Well then, shall we gather some points for your houses? What comes into your mind when you hear the word Ancient, and the word Egypt individually?" Professor Clark asked, while looking at every student's face.

A Gryffindor boy raised his hand. "Ancient makes me think old and unique things. As for Egypt, I seem to think about pyramids and tombs."

"I think of really old stuff that doesn't really influence us much," Aurora said, while also raising her hand. "Not that it's not important," she added. "Egypt just seems far away, and I think of crocodiles and pharaohs and painted people looking sideways."
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character
Activity: Slytherin - Year 3, Radio Worker

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 am

Kim entered the room where History of Magic classes will be held. Noticing that everything is ready for their first lesson, she sat down on a chair located in somewhere, middle of the room. As the students fill up the whole room, Their professor entered calmly, knowing what to do in his first day.

As Professor Clark made an introductory about the subject, Kim listened carefully, as she heard that this professor is a strict one, especially to his students. Another one is that the subject is a very boring one. 'How can a strict professor manage to take this boring class?' she thought to herself.

"Well then, shall we gather some points for your houses? What comes into your mind when you hear the word Ancient, and the word Egypt individually?" Professor Clark asked, while looking at every student's face.

Though some of them already seem to be active, Kim decided to keep quiet for now.

Last edited by Kim Frey on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://thedrunktrain.blogspot.com
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 4:15 pm

James ran through the corridor leading to his History of Magic classroom, afraid he may be late for his first class of the term. Arriving at the door, he noticed that some students were already inside but fortunately the lesson hadn't started yet. There was an empty seat just near the entrance of the room, near a Slytherin girl. James sat down and hastily started taking out what he needed from his bag. A few moments later, he had neatly sorted a piece of parchment, his brand new quill and his History of Magic textbook on his text. With a sigh, he wiped the sweat from his forehead and tried to relax. He really hated almost being late.

When all the students were set, the professor started introducing his subject. James listened to his every word, ready to take notes, as he always liked history in his old school and imagined this lesson would be similar. The teacher spoke for a brief period of time, and then asked them what they think of when hearing the words ancient and Egypt. 'Old, mystical, pyramids, mummies, scarab beetles, ...' James started enumerating in his mind, but refrained from giving saying his answers aloud, since the professor seemed to be really strict and he was scared of being humiliated by him. However, it seemed that the other students didn't share his fear, as two of them raised their hand and answered.
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Isabella walked into the room holding the first History of Magic class. She sat down at an unoccupied desk, and then looked up at the board that the professor had just pointed out. She raised her hand and thought,
"Hmm. When I hear the word ancient, I think of old artifacts that might be falling down, or peeling. When I think of the word Egypt, I think of a handsome pharoah sitting on a jewel encrusted throne holding a crook and flail."
Back to top Go down
Ashton Clark
Adult
Ashton Clark

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 am

"Perfect answers. Five points for each of you."

"Ancient Egyptian Magic started 3000 to 1000 B.C. For them, magic is just a subject like Astronomy and Mathematics that can be easily learned by everyone. Obviously, the words 'wizarding world' is not yet introduced since anyone and everyone is open when it comes to the use of magic. Egyptians were the first ones to discover it but no one has ever been proven to use the magic that we are using now. Magic, for them, is somewhat a ritual or chants that can be used to produce certain miracles." He paused for a while, observing if everyone of them can absorb what he is trying to say.

"Egyptians use magic in two ways: Practical and Religious purposes. Practical ways are the ones that can be used in their everyday lives like controlling the weather, fully growing of their crops, and many more. On the other hand, they use magic to impress their gods and goddesses. Take note that they believe that there is a designated god or goddess in everything around them. Let me site an example for those two. A farmer needs to earn some crop within a few months. So, he uses some chants to control the weather, which in fact that when the weather does appear to be favorable on his side, it is 80% chance that it is coincidence. Now, for the farmer to get a higher rate of sunny day, he'll use his magic or force to lure the god of the weather.

"For some, who are really wizards and witches, they use their magic to rule over gods. Yes, they are the ones who will command their gods and goddess to move according to their wants and needs. Of course, no one really knows if those kinds of stories are correct.

"There are some persons who really have magical powers that people praise. With their names, they put some words like deity to emphasize their extraordinary talent."

Ashton went at the back of the room, looking at the view from behind. Sounds of scribbling took effect in the whole room and no one dared to speak. "By the way, everyone is allowed to ask any questions. Questions show your interest in the subject or in the things that I am saying. Honestly, I would gladly answer them. For some sensible questions, I might give more points if they are worth it. Sometimes, even higher than answering the questions I throw at you. Now, as I was saying, are there any questions in your mind that you would like to ask?"
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:06 am

Keith stayed quiet, he seemed to understand everything perfectly. He looked around the class to see if anyone else was raising there hand. He looked back at the Professor, who looked quite eager to answer a few questions. Keith was proud of himself for earning his House five points, and surely the other Gryffindor's in the room were just as happy about it.
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 am

Aurora was stunned. She had just won five points in her first lesson, and from the strictest teacher. While Professor Clark explained the way that the Egyptians used magic, she took out her quill and started scribbling notes furiously in her History of Magic notebook. She had thought it best to have a separate notebook for each class, so that her notes didn't get jumbled up. When he asked for questions, Aurora didn't put her hand up. For one, she didn't know anything other than what he had just said, and she also decided to leave any more point-getting to others. She didn't want to accidentally lose points.
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Noticing that some of the students already got there points, she decided to get some, too.

"Professor, isn't it that time travelling is a thing that can be done by wizards or witches? If there are some events that experts can't determine, why can't just use time travel?" Kim asked while raising her hand.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 1:59 pm

James was glad that Ravenclaw had won five points, and promised himself he would try to win some too when the opportunity presented. The professor then started unraveling the mysteries of Ancient Egyptian magic, and inquired if they had any questions about it. Before he could think of an interesting one, a girl raised her hand. "Professor, isn't it that time travelling is a thing that can be done by wizards or witches? If there are some events that experts can't determine, why can't just use time travel?" she asked. 'Time travel?' James repeated in his mind with disbelief. Of all the things he had heard about the wizarding world up to now, this was one of the most fascinating. On the edge of his seat, he eagerly waited for the professor to answer.
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm

"Professor, isn't it that time travelling is a thing that can be done by wizards or witches? If there are some events that experts can't determine, why can't just use time travel?"

Aurora was jolted out of her note-taking mindset when a Slytherin girl asked this question. She had never really wondered about time travel. Honestly, she thought it was impossible. While waiting for Professor Clark to answer, she went back to writing down the key points of Ancient Egyptian magic when she noticed something odd.

She also raised her hand, even though she had told herself she wouldn't. "Professor, what do you mean by gods? Do you mean like they're actually... real? I can wait until you answer the other question, but it's just a scary thought."
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Although Keith had a father who was also a wizard, he had never bothered to tell Keith about time travel, so this question fascinated Keith a lot. He turned to Professor Clark, waiting for his answer. Time travel, was it really possible? Keith always knew magic existed, but time travel? Keith heard the Ravenclaw girl ask a question, Keith seemed eager to hear the answers to both questions asked.
Back to top Go down
Ashton Clark
Adult
Ashton Clark

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 am

A student raised her hand and asked one, "Professor, isn't it that time travelling is a thing that can be done by wizards or witches? If there are some events that experts can't determine, why can't just use time travel?"

Ashton was quite surprised on what he heard. Time travel was not supposed to be introduced to first-years. But since someone already knew it, and he suppose that everyone in the room knows it already, there is no escape on explaining it. "Excellent question Ms..." He browsed the list of students that registered on his class. "Frey, if I am not mistaken?" He continued to read some information about her. "And I never thought that a muggle-born would actually ask this kind of question. Would you mind telling me how did you know that time-travelling is possible with magic?"

He walked around the room, distracting some thoughts on his mind. "The experts didn't use time-travel since time-travelling is very dangerous. Even with the greatest wizard doing it, there is somewhat great percentage that he will not survive. Yes, there are many successful attempts on time-travelling but 3000 B.C. is a very far to travel to. They can't ignore the fact that many attempted to do it but no one came back. Nobody knows what happened to them: did they actually went back in time? did they die on the time-travel itself? No one can answer these questions."

After explaining his answer, another girl asked a question. "Professor, what do you mean by gods? Do you mean like they're actually... real? I can wait until you answer the other question, but it's just a scary thought."

"As you all know, no one has ever proven that there is a god that is watching over us. Muggles like to have the thought that someone is there guiding them. Specifically Egyptians, their gods and goddesses are just myths. These gods and goddesses are the ones whom they can pray or chant things that would affect their everyday lives." He continued to scan everyone, scribbling notes on their parchments. "Seven points for each question asked. Now, let us proceed."

"They also used magic in interpreting dreams. Dreams, for them, is a sign from the future. Let me site some examples for it:
-If a man sees himself in a dream slaughtering an ox with his own hand, good: it means killing his adversary.
-Eating crocodile flesh, good: it means acting as an official among his people.
-Submerging in the river, good: it means purification from all evils.
-Burying an old man, good: it means flourishing.
-Working with stone in his house, good: fixing a man in his house.
-Seeing his face in a mirror, bad: it means another wife.
-Shod with white sandals, bad: it means roaming the earth.
-Copulating with a woman, bad: it means mourning.
-Being bitten by a dog, bad: it means he will be touched by magic.
-His bed catching fire, bad: it means driving away his wife.
Memorize these. They might appear on your exams.

"They also used magic in medicine and this is where the potions comes. Another one is to use magic for immortality. Obviously, no one has been immortal with the use of magic but, at least, they can prolong their lives, or as they believe they can. They believed that their king was the only one who can have that kind of power. Chants have been found on their tombs and all of these are compiled on one book called 'Egyptian Book of the Dead' but its real name, as Egyptians would call it, 'Book of Going Forth by Day'.

"That would end the lecture. This topic is very short in its nature. Please research on more terms. I might give some questions that I didn't mention in class. So, if anyone has any clarifications, please tell me now. If anyone needs more explanation, you can approach me on my room."
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am

Having to be asked a question from the professor, Kim stood up and analyzed it carefully. "And I never thought that a muggle-born would actually ask this kind of question. Would you mind telling me how did you know that time-travelling is possible with magic?"

"Professor, I've been spending some time in the library."

As Professor Clark explained the lesson thoroughly, scribbles is the only noise that can be heard in the whole room. Doing as the other students are doing, Kim was keeping up with the phase to write all of the things necessary into her parchment.

Kim was a bit surprised for the professor to end the lecture immediately. She started to think that the remaining time would turn to waste but as she can remember, professors are not allowed to dismiss his or her class too early. Reassuring that the class is really over, she waited for students who have any questions and for further instructions from the teacher.
Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am

She had been late for this class also, but because she had gotten lost, not distracted. As she entered the classroom quietly she noticed that a lot of the students in this class were also in her other classes. Her first thought of Professor Clark was positive. He had the characteristics of a Slytherin, which is always a good thing.
You'd think Hogwarts is more varied than an American public school, she thought.
Professor Clark did not seem to notice her late arrival, and if he did, he kept it to himself. He asked questions about the words "Ancient" and "Egypt", but she did not raise her hand like the other students did. The class seemed a bit dull, with people answering random questions. That is, until a fellow Slytherin girl, Kim Frey, asked something quite interesting.

"Professor, isn't it that time travelling is a thing that can be done by wizards or witches? If there are some events that experts can't determine, why can't just use time travel?" Kim asked. Professor Clark was quite surprised by this question, although his answer was lacking something. It did not exactly explain what Lucy thought it would.
Kim continued, responding to a comment made by Professor Clark, "Professor, I've been spending some time in the library..." This comment caught Professor Clark by surprise also as he ended the lecture immediately. Lucy thought this was quite funny, in a wicked sort of way, as this was how Tom Riddle, long before he was known as Voldemort, had approached old Professor Slughorn about horcruxes. She knew this because her father had kept old articles from The Daily Prophet that were released after the second war against Voldemort had been won. She looked around the room and saw students scared to even ask or say anything, so she stood up.

Professor Clark's back was facing her, but she spoke anyway, "Professor, I believe you should not let this time go to waste. It would be a shame to lose precious class time because Voldemort has now been brought up. You know, I was really enjoying your lecture about Gods."
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 am

To James' surprise, professor Clark decided to end the lecture on Ancient Egyptian magic after answering the students' questions. Determined to earn some points for his house, he mustered his courage and raised his hand, wanting to ask something that he had been wondering for a while. As he was waiting for the teacher to give him permission to speak, a girl suddenly stood up. "Professor, I believe you should not let this time go to waste. It would be a shame to lose precious class time because Voldemort has now been brought up. You know, I was really enjoying your lecture about Gods." Confused, James waited for the professor's reaction, his hand still in the air. He had no idea who this Voldemort was, and how he had been brought up.
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 am

Professor Clark had ended his lecture, a little abruptly, but Aurora had written down all the important stuff. Suddenly, a Slytherin girl stood up. "Professor, I believe you should not let this time go to waste. It would be a shame to lose precious class time because Voldemort has now been brought up. You know, I was really enjoying your lecture about gods."

Aurora was surprised. She knew that Voldemort had said those words before, but Kim was just answering a question, how she knew about time-traveling, and she was Muggle-Born, so she didn't know anything about Voldemort, at least not enought to know what he had said in school. Also, this girl had not even raised her hand or waited until the professor was looking at her. Aurora waited tensely for the professor to do something.

Back to top Go down
Lucy Malfoy
Adult
Lucy Malfoy

My Character
Activity: Slytherin Alumni, Auror, Flying Professor

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am

Still standing up, Lucy waited, a bit impatiently, for Professor Clark to continue the lecture. Given that Professor Clark was still not facing her, she looked around the classroom. A Ravenclaw boy had his hand up, but he looked confused. It seemed reasonable, since Lucy had heard he was Muggle-born. The boy reminded her of her mother, and the thought of her mother made her feel guilty. Despite the fact that Voldemort had been dead for years, her mother still was never comfortable with the sound of his name. Her father had been trying to clear up the family name for years; trying to clear his Uncle Lucius' reputation. However, here she was, in the middle of a classroom, not only disrespecting a very wise teacher, but also reminding the wizard world of Lord Voldemort. To other students who were very familiar with the wrongdoings of her Death Eater relatives, this was proof that the Malfoy family was still involved with the Dark Lord. However, she did not sit back down. She wanted Muggle-borns like the Ravenclaw boy to know who the Dark Lord was. After all, this was History of Magic.
Back to top Go down
Ashton Clark
Adult
Ashton Clark

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

"Professor, I've been spending some time in the library," she answered.

As soon as Ashton heard her answer, he was surprised but decided to keep his emotions to himself. He didn't show any of it, trying to stand up very still. Though she is in the house of Slytherin, no one can say that this isn't just a mere coincidence. Having to have a first-year, especially a muggle-born, to answer the same statement as before, it is, in fact for him, just a coincidence.

Keeping his emotions is very easy for him but thinking of his next move is a thing that made him stay on one place for some time. "Of course, the library. How silly of me to forget about that place. Yes, many books are dedicated on history but not all of them can say everything in detail," he finally said.

Suddenly, another student stood up from her chair while saying, "Professor, I believe you should not let this time go to waste. It would be a shame to lose precious class time because Voldemort has now been brought up. You know, I was really enjoying your lecture about Gods." But this time, he wasn't surprised at all, having a student to talk like that in front of him. For many years, he experienced many types of students, including the ones like her.

Ashton didn't face her. Instead, he walked towards the north of the room, scanning his notes again. "Did I say that the class is already over? Lecture is different from class, Ms. Malfoy. I still have some minutes to spend with you." He continued to read some information about her from the parchment where all of the information about their students are stated which he received from the Headmaster. "And you might think that I forgot about you being late during the first-day of classes. I am very strict with attendance and I am pretty sure you are aware of that since registering in this class will require you to read my rules. And yes, talking without my permission is also against it. Seven points from Slytherin."

Without further instruction, she sat down. Ashton, finally, saw a Ravenclaw boy raising his hand. He nodded, signalling that the floor was his. Then, he continued to scan the information on the parchment.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:38 pm

After punishing the girl who had stood up, professor Clark glanced at James and nodded him. For a moment, James didn't know why, but he then realized that his hand was still in the air. It took him a couple of seconds to remember what he wanted to ask, as he was still thinking about what just happened. It was the first time that he saw a professor deducting points from a House, proving that professor Clark was indeed quite strict and that rules were quite important in his lessons.

"I... I was wondering, professor, if the Egyptians were the first people to use magic." he asked. He had been asking himself that since he discovered he was a wizard. Where does magic come from? Who were the first to use it? It seemed logical that the Egyptians, as one of the great ancient civilizations, had an important part to play in it. But James remembered from the history lessons at his old school that there were other civilizations preceding Egyptians, and maybe they already had the gift of magic.
Back to top Go down
Ashton Clark
Adult
Ashton Clark

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am

"I... I was wondering, professor, if the Egyptians were the first people to use magic." the student asked. "Mr. Riddle, I presume? Now that you've mentioned it, I think there is no harm on proceeding with the lesson further than I planned." Ashton tried to focus once more with the lesson. He took a large, thick, brown book from his desk and opened on a page near the front cover. "I advice everyone to wake up once more since I know that some of you are already bored or feel somewhat sleepy. Unfortunately, we can't go away from the fact that we need history in order to understand the present things or happening that occur around us.

"At first, a very long time ago, when the first civilizations were developing, magic was an uncontrollable force. It was a gift, extremely powerful, yet very wild and untamed, given only to a few. At the time, everything was very different from today. You see, the first wizards and witches didn't use wands as we do, and didn't need incantations. They would just let magic flow through them, using their entire body to produce magical energy, and would focus on what they wanted to achieve. Some stories tell that their power was so amazing that they could literally realize anything they would imagine. It is comparable to the kind of magic that wizards and witches experience nowadays at a very young age: unintentional spells that can be quite powerful yet are very unstable. That is why one of our primary missions at Hogwarts is to teach you how to control what you do.

"However, this way of performing magic was very unstable, as they had a lot of difficulties to control that power. Fueled by strong emotions such as anger and fear, magic became a dangerous threat to those who performed it, especially in troubled times. People died every day, ones consumed by their own spells, as their bodies were unable to withstand that much energy, other victims of someone else's outburst. There were no rules, no limitations, no superior instance of control; everyone was able to do whatever they desired, even if it involved atrocious things like torture or murder. It was utter chaos, and something had to be done in order to stop the magical community from destroying itself." Ashton paused for a minute, trying not to drown his students from the overflow of information. He noticed some of them who, just put their eyes on him but not practically absorbing anything. "Remember, I want all of you to know that almost everything that is coming to my mouth right now will appear on your quiz, yes there will be quizzes for this subject, and of course, examination. So please, pay attention."

Once more, Ashton shifted his mood. He tried to be calmer for the students to see that he doesn't just have a strict side. "A group of respected scholars, who devoted their lives to studying magic, decided to put an end to this disorder. They started setting limitations to its use in order to tame it. First, they established that magic should henceforth be performed through an instrument, more precisely a wand. That would allow wizards and witches to channel their energy, hence not being destroyed by it. Next, they created an incantation for each spell, charm, hex or jinx. From now on, every piece of magic would be clearly defined and have specific and determined effects. Only when a witch or wizard had a perfect mastery and control over the spell would they also be able to perform it without uttering the incantation. The interesting thing is that this remains true even today. When you first learn a charm, you have to pronounce the words, yet as your magical ability and your expertise in it grows, you will be capable of casting it non-verbally. Finally, this allowed the scholars to clearly distinguish one spell from another, as they were all now labeled. Therefore, some spells were immediately designated as dark magic and the most dangerous ones were already frowned upon. However, it was not until much later that he Ministry of Magic decided to classify the worst three as Unforgivable Curses.

"The scholars documented their entire work in their own library, which only they could access, detailing everything they had made as well as how to undo these changes and to return to a much more powerful yet unstable form of magic. When they finished setting these ground rules for the its use, the scholars made it their mission to teach this new much safer way of performing magic to every witch and wizard. Most of them accepted, while the ones who preferred the old way eventually perished from it. Years and years passed, and as the scholars died, the knowledge they possessed slowly disappeared with them. Their library was now lost, along with the secret to unlocking the power of the ancient, pure form of magic.

"Of course, all of this remains a legend as no one has ever found any trace of the library, even if many have sought it, some out of curiosity, and others out of hunger for power."

Finally, Ashton sat down on his desk and looked at the students. Some are still jutting down the information he just told them while some were having a hard time understanding them. He tried to think of a way in which, once more, the students will have the spirit of enjoyment but he knows that activities as such are not applicable in history classes.

"Seven points for that remarkably analyzed question. Are there any more? Please, ask them now. We'll have a short activity afterwards."
Back to top Go down

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Aurora jotted down a few last notes as Professor Clark asked for more questions.

"Professor," she began while raising her hand, "you said an instrument channeled power. Does that instrument have to be a wand? Have wizards and witches used other things besides wands in the past?" She took a deep breath, waiting for the professor to answer while holding her quill poised to take more notes.
Back to top Go down
Kim Frey
Admin
Admin
Kim Frey

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 am

Kim continued to jot down all the important facts she just learned. Knowing in herself that she understood it very well, Aurora, a Ravenclaw girl whom Kim met in their Flying Lessons asked a question. "you said an instrument channeled power. Does that instrument have to be a wand? Have wizards and witches used other things besides wands in the past?"

Kim waited for the answer, readying her quill on her hand.
Back to top Go down
James Riddle
Adult
James Riddle

My Character

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:34 am

James listened carefully to the professor explain the very origins of magic, satisfied that his question seemed to be linked to an important part of the lesson. He was writing as fast as he could, determined not to miss anything the teacher was saying, especially after hearing the words 'quizzes' and 'examination'.

Fascinated by this ancient tale, James stared at the professor even after he stopped talking. Apparently, he wasn't the only one who found the topic interesting, as he saw Aurora raise her hand. "You said an instrument channeled power. Does that instrument have to be a wand? Have wizards and witches used other things besides wands in the past?" she asked. James hadn't seen anyone perform magic with anything other than a wand since he arrived at the school, but he wondered if these ancient wizards had tried anything else as an instrument.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lesson One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson One   Lesson One Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson One
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next