Live the Magic!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The Admins
Fast Links
Current time
SPRING
Year: 2034
Term: 13
Month: March

Term 13 until TBA
House Points
Chat Box
Vote For Us
Affiliates
Photobucket Shadowplay HOS The Beginning Magical World of Harry Potter THE GIRL IS DANGEROUS Hogwarts Academy

Click here to affiliate!
Latest topics
» Chances (Ariel)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm by Ariel Wilde

» HUGE REALLY VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:40 pm by Hunter VanDerberg

» Sunny Afternoon (Open to Anyone)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:58 am by Marielle Prince

» An Unfortunate Accident (Open)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:41 am by Marielle Prince

» Marielle Aveline Prince
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm by Sky

» Claim a Face
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySun May 15, 2016 8:08 am by Marielle Prince

» AFFILIATE HERE
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon May 09, 2016 2:42 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» My charries need something fot their life (a plots)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyWed May 04, 2016 8:10 am by Jessica Kim

» The Gif Game 2.0
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:39 am by Humphrey Williams

» A Dying Trade (one of JETTS characters)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon May 02, 2016 12:25 am by Augustus Beckett

» Wild Child [Ariadne]
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:01 am by Ariadne O'Rieley

» History Of Magic Application
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» Semi - Activity Check!
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am by Hunter VanDerberg

» EVELYN'S "DRAWINGS"
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm by Morgana Gaunt

» I Won't Say I'm In Love (closed-one shot)
Extra Credit Folder:  EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm by Miranda Cunningham

Extra Credit Folder:

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chloe Gracen

Chloe Gracen

My Character
::
Activity: Astronomy Professor, Ravenclaw Head of House

Extra Credit Folder:  Empty
PostSubject: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 am

This is where you will post your extra credit. This may contain, a short history on your constellation, or why you chose it.

RULES:

Entries must be one paragraph-two pages (five paragraphs)
If submitted, you will receive five points for your house

This is optional, but recommended as it lets you gain knowledge, and earn house points. It's a win-win situation right?

The person with the most points in the class by the end of term, will receive ten extra points on top of their five, and also receive a special prize.
Back to top Go down
Hunter VanDerberg
Admin
Admin
Hunter VanDerberg

My Character
Activity: Trainee Auror

PostSubject: Re: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 am

Hunter's Extra Credit
Scorpius

Scorpius is a large constellation located in the Milky Way Galaxy. It is a very bright constellation made up of large star clusters in comparison to some of the other constellations surrounding it, making it easy to locate. The observing season for Scorpius is short because of the lenghtened days in the summer.

I chose Scorpius because this constellation also symbolizes Scorpio, which is my zodiac sign! Scorpio is the zodiac sign of extremes and intensity, or some other rubbish. Which isn't much like me at all, really. Well, maybe sometimes, whenever things get on my nerves. But I'm not really all that extreme in general. I also picked it because I didn't have any idea what any of the other ones are supposed to be. But Scorpius is supposed to be a scorpion - even though the pictures of it don't look like a scorpion, even if you connect the dots.
Back to top Go down
Aoife O'Donnell
Adult
Aoife O'Donnell

My Character
Activity: Gryffindor - Year 7, Head Girl

PostSubject: Re: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 6:55 pm

AOIFE'S SUPERCOOL, BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S EXTRA CREDIT

I'm going to be honest here. I don't like Astronomy. Stars and constellations and boring rubbish like that doesn't interest me in the slightest. Chloe, you're nice, but your subject isn't. Still, I lose enough points, so I should earn some for Gryffindor to make up for my being a terrible student.

I had no idea which one to choose, because they all looked the same and none of the names were particularly interesting. Andromeda starts with an A, just like Aoife does, so I ended up randomly picking that one.

Just so this project looks a little flashy, I did some research on it. Her story is some sort of Greek myth. She is really stupid. She's the typical damsel in distress at the start of the story, too shy to talk to boys, but I was too bored to read the rest of the story. I even found an illustration of her, but she looks like a man.

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Blake Ralston
Adult
Blake Ralston

My Character
Activity:

PostSubject: Re: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 pm

My chosen constellation is Lynx. Lynx is a constellation in the northern sky, introduced in the 17th century by Johannes Hevelius. He supposedly named it Lynx because of its faintness: and only people with good, keen eyesight would have been able to recognize it. It is in the Ursa Major family, which doesn't really mean anything to me. It is hard to see and pick out as there are only four main stars in the constellation and it is best visible during the month of March.

I chose the constellation as I thought Lynx was Latin for Lion or something along those lines and being a Gryffindor that would have been appropriate. As it turns out its more like a cat, but close enough. Its bordering constellation is Leo, which is actually a Lion, something I will remember for future reference. The abbreviation of Lynx is Lyn, which is pretty cool as I have a friend called Lyn. When I look at the picture of the constellation I don't really get why it looks like a cat, I think it looks more like a hare jumping, but each to their own.
Back to top Go down
Victoria Campero
Adult
Victoria Campero

My Character
Activity: Ravenclaw- Year I

PostSubject: Re: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 pm

The Andromeda Constellation

I've picked Andromeda because of it's cool name honestly. It sounds like something I would want to name my daughter. Anyway, it is located in the norther sky and it is the 19th biggest constellation. It belongs to the Perseus family of constellations and it was named by the mythical Princess Andromeda, the wife of the Greek hero Perseus. It was cataloged by a Greek astronomer in the 2nd century.

Well the story was that Andromeda had offended the sea nymphs by claiming that she was more beautiful than they were. Of course, the nymphs complained to the sea God Poseidon and he sent a huge sea monster to destroy Andromeda and her father's land. So her father had chained Andromeda to a rock and left her to the sea monster. She would have died if Perseus hadn't rescued her from her faith. Later they were married and had children together.

The goddess Athena saw this bravery and send the image of Princess Andromeda into the stars next to her husband Perseus. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra Credit Folder:    Extra Credit Folder:  Empty

Back to top Go down

Extra Credit Folder:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Live the Magic! :: Hogwarts Castle :: Classes :: Core Classes :: Astronomy :: Lessons Archives-
Jump to: